Friday, September 5, 2008

Funny Stuff

Maybe it’s just me, but when I see college students walking I just laugh. It's not that they look funny or walk strange, but you can kind of tell where they are and where they are going in life.

Some you can just tell aren't getting anywhere because of the lack of urgency they have when getting from point A to point B. Some have that same absence of a sense of urgency, but can afford to (or at least they think they can) because they are amateur athletes at the university. You have those students who are so focused that they miss everything going on around them. That's funny too…just an observation.

The LPGA backed down on a rule that would make all of its players speak English. Now I watch a lot of Sportscenter (purely for the purpose of score watching, PTI’s Big finish, and criticism), and the only players I know besides Michelle Wie, Juli Inkster, and Paula Kramer are foreign. Annika Sorenstam, Lorena Ochoa, and Karrie Webb speak English, but several of the players do no not, specifically the Korean players who have started to win more and more tournaments.

Now I am not against women having the right to play sports, I am just against having womens sports shoved down my throat, i.e. U.S. Womens Soccer, the WNBA, and golf. Aside: I so wouldn't be mad if they showed more volleyball, indoor and outdoor. Most of the time the women look good and are tall and athletic...the kind of woman im looking for LOL. Anyways, this is one of those times where its important, because its purely indicative of the world we live in. If they are playing well just let them play who cares about what language they speak. I don’t watch LPGA interviews and press conferences. Honestly, very few people are watching anyways golf anyways, that is if Tiger isn't playing.

Last night, Senator John McCain closed out the RNC with his acceptance speech. I watched the majority of the big speeches just like I did with the DNC, and I will say his was the worst. That speech was long as hell and lacked a lot of specifics. He constantly went to that little smile he has that looks so fake and out of place. Like he would say something negative and smile…oh wait that was intentional.

One of the big issues I fundamentally disagree with Republicans that leans me to the left is in opportunities and values—actually it’s just half of that. I will say I agree with a lot of the values that conservatives cling to, but I recognized that it’s not my place to make my values other people. So I cannot expect my religion to be applied to the governing of people who may not believe the same.

On the opportunity side, I feel like there are opportunities if you have all of the available resources, but the GOP doesn’t always realize that some people have a different set of opportunities to make into success. For example, I have friends that have a lot more than I do, and it’s not because I don’t want more, but I started with less and when it comes time to make long term decisions, I have less of a cushion.

Like I have a friend who has been in school for a few years and this friend doesn’t know what they want to do, but everything is taken care of till they figure it out…and if they don’t they got a job waiting. Then I have another friend who has been out of school for a few years and will have to scrape and scrap to get back into school. One probably is more talented or “better” than the other…but the other has a better chance circumstance and starting opportunity.

Speaking of better and worse, in that hour long lecture, John McCain dropped that we need to help those that are less than us. Last time I checked, nobody is better or worse than anybody. The next guy may not have more than me but he most certainly isn’t better. I just found that word choice particularly interesting…kinda like McCain and his wife lying about their ages to each other when they first met. That’s why these kids lie about their age on Myspace and R.Kelly types are always getting caught up.

That’s all for now… tell a friend, show me some love in a link, oh and do the right thing.

Salute

No comments: