Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Republicans do it... better?

Do they really? Probably not, but the GOP can stake a claim to Abraham Lincoln and that Emancipation Proclamation stuff, or whatever it was he was doing. They also lay claim to that guy MLK Jr. who did some stuff in the about civil rights. Heck, they probably understand the whole Barack Obama thing better than anybody else.

Here is a quote from Newt Gingrich former Republican Speaker of the House taken from obamapedia.org:

"Well, Abraham Lincoln served two years in the U.S. House, and seemed to do all right." (Meet The Press 12/17).

You can do a Google search on your own and find it many other places... it's a real quote from an interview with the late great Tim Russert.

There is so much fear in the Republican Party about Barack Obama it's almost palpable. They know that he is reaching people by speaking about tomorrow and what we leave for our children. They know that this "abstract" change is going to mean huge losses in their takeover of the world. They see the pie being re-distributed to take 99% of our country's wealth from just one percent of the population. Very scary for them folks

So far I have enjoyed the Democratic National Convention. Highlighted so far by Hillary's speech and orange pantsuit, this convention has had so much enthusiasm, power and most importantly unity. The surrogates have done a good job going after McCain and working to garner support for Barack Obama. All of the speakers and people who have been interviewed get the message, except for a few Hillary supporters that clearly cannot hear. Here is an excerpt from her magnificent speech:

"I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me? Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that young boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?"

That is pretty clear right? Here's what I heard/saw:

Hey guys! It's me Hillary. I'm here rockin' the hell out of this orange pantsuit (take that Michelle). But on the real, I know y'all love me—but is the truth Barack is gonna be working for you guys just I would have if I didn’t underestimate him."

Somehow CNN found two Clinton supporters that missed what she said and what heard/saw.

One Clinton supporter whose name I missed said, "I need to be courted" and that her not supporting Barack was on "principles". What principles?! I guess that’s the principles of Nobama democrats (thanks Fatimah). She continued to say "I don't vote on the first date."

WOW! Keep your vote!

Then there Ann Price-Mills was the delegate from the great state of Washington in the city of Kent. She is actually really close to where I am from, very sad. I'm not furious that she said she hasn't connected with Barack Obama, because all that shows is laziness in finding information and an inability to let go of things. I am not a McCain fan by any means, but I can tell you what he stands for and why people like him and think he is worth voting for. She also said Hillary looked Presidential and said that democrats made a mistake. Well the people spoke and selected Barack to have the right to BE presidential not just look like it.

But no, that's not really why I am mad. Actually, I am mad because she said, on national television mind you, that she may not vote. Our adviser at the Kentucky Kernel said that using profanity is taking the easy way out, so I won't write what I think, but I will say Price-Mills needs to immediately have her delegate rights removed. How you can even introduce the idea of not voting? It’s absolutely shameful. How can you in good conscience represent a body of people and consider the idea of not invoking one of the most fundamental democratic rights?

I'll be watching the next few days eagerly and please believe I'll do the same for the RNC.

Salute

No comments: