Friday, August 15, 2008

Oogie Boogie Nigger

The title of this post is a quote from Dave Chapelle's skit about the black, white supremacist. I just had that phrase directed at me less than 10 minutes ago. I feel like I swallowed a battery so I'm not going to really go in depth on this or even analyze it--just going to give some specifics.

I left work early because my stomach is on fire. I rode the bus, which drops me off literally right in front of my house. In the 40 or so necessary steps to get home a car full of 18-23 year old white males passed by. One turned as he saw me and yelled "oogie boogie nigger".

OK. I lied. I'm going to analyze this a little. Its kind of like the movie Crash there were a lot of things that had to happen for me to be placed in that situation. I had to leave work 2 and half hours earlier than I planned. I had to catch the bus instead of walking. The front door on the bus had to not be working, and my dumb ass had to try to get on and off on a door that was broken. The car with the men in question had to pass by when it did. And finally, the guy had to randomly have on his mind to say what he said. May not mean anything to you, but to me it's interesting. Think about all of that coincidental randomness, because had one of those things not occurred I may not have this story. Maybe thats why I don't like Crash... cause things connect like that for me without a movie. Next semester I'll probably have a class with one of those guys in the car.

Oh yeah racism is alive and well.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

I've been called some rendition of a nigger (violently by a white person) about 5 times in my life...4 of them were in Lexington. Wooot!

Marty McFly said...

things like this wouldnt happen if you shaved that ridiculous Billy Maze beard.